College of Sciences Steering Committee
Memo from the Provost
Date: May 11, 2012
To: University Leaders
From: Warwick A. Arden, Provost & Executive Vice Chancellor
Subject: College of Sciences Steering Committee
As referenced in my recent memo (http://provost.ncsu.edu/governance/task-forces/academic-science/2011/documents/provost-science-recommendations-041612.pdf) to the chancellor, I am establishing a Steering Committee for the formation of the new College of Sciences. The Steering Committee is charged with determining the most appropriate administrative structure for the new college and determining a process for identifying which faculty and academic programs will move to the new college.
I will chair the Steering Committee, with Dr. Duane Larick, Senior Vice Provost for Strategic Initiatives, serving as the vice chair and administrative lead of the committee. Other members of the Steering Committee, representing the six STEM colleges, are:
- Dr. Johnny Wynne, Dean, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Dr. Louis Martin-Vega, Dean, College of Engineering
- Dr. Robert Brown, Dean, College of Natural Resources
- Dr. Dan Solomon, Dean, College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences
- Dr. Blanton Godfrey, Dean, College of Textiles
- Dr. Paul Lunn, Dean, College of Veterinary Medicine
The Steering Committee will have its initial meeting later this month with the goal of presenting its plans by October 2012, if possible. I will ensure that this is an inclusive and transparent effort with extensive faculty consultation.
One of the earliest actions of the Steering Committee will be to determine the composition of the College of Sciences Implementation Teams which will include, but not be limited to, the following focus areas: Academic Programs and Personnel (to be chaired by Dr. Larick); Budget and Finance; Student Support; Space; Infrastructure and Shared Resources; Development and Alumni Relations.As additional details become available, they will be posted at www.provost.ncsu.edu/special-initiatives/college-of-sciences/.
- Provost's memo - 5/11/12 [pdf]
- About the new College of Sciences
- Chancellor's Announcement Regarding a College of Sciences - 4/20/12
- Provost Arden's memo on Review of the Administrative Structure for Academic Science Programs [pdf] - Submitted to the Chancellor on 4/16/12